Published:Saturday | March 7, 2020 | 12:18 AM
The National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) is to receive 20 new garbage trucks in May, Local Government Minister Desmond McKenzie has announced.
They are the first of 120 additional trucks being procured by the Government to boost the NSWMA fleet to improve waste collection across the country.
“We just got the approval for those and the [acquisition] process will commence. We are expecting those 100 trucks to be in the island next year around this time,” the minister said, while addressing the Standing Finance Committee of Parliament earlier this week.
Responding to concerns as to whether the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19) will affect the timeline for the arrival of the trucks, McKenzie responded that based on discussions with the entity contracted to supply the vehicles, “they have not indicated any area of concern”.
He said he will direct the NSWMA to engage further dialogue with the supplier.
The global novel coronavirus outbreak has also derailed plans for many companies and has caused delays across markets.
The impact on the manufacturing industry is expected to be felt globally, but Chinese companies could stand to lose the most.
As COVID-19 spreads to other manufacturing centres, non-Chinese companies have taken preventative measures, which include restricting travel.