Jamaica's Beauty Is Our Duty
The National Solid Waste Management Act (2001) mandates the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) to take all necessary steps to effect the management of solid waste in Jamaica.
Fulfilling this mandate facilitates action that would safeguard public health , ensure that waste is collected, stored , transported, recycled and reused, or disposed of in an environmentally sound manner.
Generators of solid waste are made aware of related standards, guidelines and codes of practice endorsed by Government in implementing its national solid waste programme.
MPM Waste Management Limited
SPM Waste Management Limited
NEPM Waste Management Limited
WPM Waste Management Limited
To be a model solid waste management entity, using cutting edge state of the art technologies to maintain a clean and healthy environment comparable to global standards.
To ensure a clean Jamaica by managing solid waste effectively through public cleansing, adherence to public health and environmental standards, public education and enforcement programmes supported by advanced technology, the participation of communities and the delivery of services by a highly trained and engaged staff.
- Achieve acceptable standards of environmental practices in all public cleansing and disposal operations;
- Develop capable environmental monitoring staff through training and appropriate recruitment;
- Provide standards, regulations and expertise with regard to solid waste management;
- Participate in the development of an inter-agency institutional structure for pollution and environmental control;
- Prioritize financial resources for solid waste management in a severely constrained economy;
- Meet human resource needs through the appropriate development and implementation of human resource policies;
- Provide quality service to our contractors and the public;
- Enforce the National Solid Waste Management Act